Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Posting Documents to Blogger

In response to Amy's questions of how to post a document as a .jpg and how to link to a google doc, I did a little research and I think I found a way to do both.

First, if you want to post a word document as an image in blogger, you can use Zamzar, but rather than converting the word doc to .jpg (because Zamzar does not give this option), just convert it to .png. Then, the .png file can be uploaded as an image just the same as a .jpg (see below). If you really want a .jpeg, this website says that you can open the .png in paint and then save it as a .jpeg. Also note that the document was three pages and so saved as three separate .png files (I only posted the first page). If you click on this image, it becomes larger and readable. In google docs, there is an option under "Share" that allows you to publish you doc as a webpage. This makes it available for anyone to view (without logging in!). Then, in order to link your image to a google doc, you can click on the actual image and make it a hyperlink (I did not do this above, but tried it below) or you can just make a link to the document in the usual way. Here is my link. Good question! I hope this helps. Let me know if anyone has found a better way or has any suggestions.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I am trying it out! Thanks for your ingenuity. I hate spelling words like that without an edit function.

Anyway, I am just waiting for the documents to be delivered to my inbox. That will be exciting.

The only bad (or good, depending on how you look at it) thing about zamzar is that ads pop up that actually say out loud "congratulations, you won an xbox." So far, I have pretty lucky; I have been selected to receive a laptop, a Wii, and a playstation. Not bad for just clicking on a site. haa haa!

Dr. Angelone said...

Ha! That made me laugh... the same thing kept happening to me, so I finally shut my sound off! Just an FYI- Zamzar takes awhile to send the documents. The first time I tried it, it took about 5 minutes, but the second time took around 40! Not sure why, but I guess you get what you pay for. :)

Todd Smith said...

When (or after) saving the webpage in Google Docs, is it possible to add tab stops and margins so the document looks more like a paper? On my Mac screen, the lines of text are 12" long. I suppose I could resize my window.

Dr. Angelone said...

Hmmm... I'm not sure. The document I posted was one I cut and pasted into to Google Docs from a Word document. Maybe that would help? I have found that the formatting in Google Docs is not great in general.